Delhi, the national capital of India, is one of the largest cities in the world. The massive metropolitan city, as we all know, is situated on the north side of the country. The glorious city carries a charm of its own which we cannot help but agree. There are a number of interesting facts about Delhi which make it so captivating.
In the year 1912, the capital of India shifted from Calcutta to Delhi. Since then, much of the importance the state holds is because of the fact that it is the country’s capital. However, there is so much more to the city than it being the country’s capital. Here are a few interesting facts about the city you would not know:
Interesting facts about Delhi
1. Delhi is the world’s second most bird-rich Capital city after Nairobi in Kenya. Did I hear someone say Delhi is polluted?
2. Asia’s largest fruit and vegetable market is in Azadpur, Delhi. On a daily basis, 3000 trucks bring fruits and vegetables for over 30000 retail vendors. Food for everyone, eh?
3. Delhi has its very own International Toilet museum. Seems like the country is pretty serious about Clean India, Green India? Eh?
4. The World’s Tallest Brick Minaret is the Qutub Minar. And it’s standing tall since 1192. Still the tallest. Some credits to the capital?
5. Asia’s largest spice Market is in a street of Old Delhi namely Khari Baoli. So Delhi is full of spice, I guess. Cheesy much?
6. Feroz Shah Kotla houses the Ashokan Pillar. The 27-tonne pillar was brought by Emperor Feroz Shah Tughlaq from Topar in Ambala. Delhi- Hip and classy but historical nonetheless.
Wait…..there is more!
7. The public transport system in Delhi runs on environment-friendly Compressed Natural Gas or CNG. Cool No?
8. Delhi is one of the greenest cities in the world. Well, 20% of its landmass is covered with forests. Hold on! I am as surprised as you are.
9. Delhi had a female ruler before the British. Razia Sultana was the Sultan of Delhi from 1236 to May 1240. And, she was one of the bravest rulers. More power to women!
10. Delhi is the most populated city in the world. Quite literally! Well, remember the trolls on Rajiv Chowk metro station? Hah! Betcha!
11. The Lotus Temple in Delhi is the only architecture of Bahai faith in entire Asia. Notably, there is a total of eight Bahai temples around the world. Isn’t it amazing? Plus, we all know how the Lotus Temple looks from outside. Simply wow, I’m sure!
If you are planning a visit to Delhi, these facts will surely leave you amused. Furthermore, when you actually visit these destinations, you are sure to be reminded of these interesting facts about Delhi. So share these with your friends and let them know as well.